May 2021 Monthly Meeting and Speaker
May 15, 2021
Join Us for our Virtual Meeting and Webinar Presentation
“Researching in Rhineland Pfalz”
Webinar Presented by: Toni Perrone
May 2021 Mini Class
May 15, 2021
Join us for a short discussion topic before the main monthly meeting.
This month’s topic is: “Getting the Most From Family Search”
This will be a presentation of a video from Family Search explaining the ins and outs of searching their site. This is an up-to-date video released for RootsTech.
Following the video, there will be time for a few questions.
Members Only. Watch Your Email for the registration link.
SOCCGS Announcements for May 2021
The SOCCGS Genealogy Reference Center is re-opening!
We have very exciting news that on Friday, April 30th, our Genealogy Research Center in the Mission Viejo Library will reopen.
Library hours will be Tuesday – Saturday, 12noon – 5pm.
Masks will be required, and seating will be staggered to meet social distancing requirements.
While the library will no longer require appointments for patron visits, we will be using appointments for the genealogy computers. We expect that many of you will be eager to access those locked records on FamilySearch and our other databases which we haven’t been able to use for the last year. To avoid long waits to use the computers, we have set up an online appointment system for our two genealogy computers.
To make an appointment for our genealogy computers:
- Go to https://soccgs.org/computer-reservations/ or click on the drop-down menu for the Research Center from the black menu bar at the top of our website, and then choose Computer Reservations.
- Because of social distancing requirements only 2 computers will be available. Computer reservation slots will depend upon docent staffing, and may not be available for every hour that the library is open.
- Appointments will be booked for 55 minute periods.
- To allow everyone a chance to do their research, there is a limit of one appointment per day, and only 2 appointments per week.
- No appointment is necessary to use our print resources, but seating may not be available.
- As always, our wonderful genealogy docents will be there to help you!
SOCCGS was founded in 1994 in Mission Viejo, California with the purpose to preserve and disseminate knowledge about, and to stimulate interest and provide instruction in genealogical research.
The Mission Viejo Library opened October 25, 1997 and generously provided a space for our genealogical collection of books and CDs. In May of 2002 the new south wing was opened and the Genealogy Research Center was moved into the new area.
With the continuing closure of our physical meeting facilities, all meetings have been moved online. Please see the calendar for more information.
Monthly meetings are held the third Saturday of each month from 10am to noon.
In October we meet for an all day Seminar featuring renowned genealogy speakers.